Sisters and Brothers,
Before we begin, if you haven't already, please take the time to view the Mayor's press conference in conjunction with the LA County Board of Supervisors. It provides new information as to the City's plan for the weeks ahead. It can be streamed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-8FwyY5BA
That being said, this afternoon, Lisa and I talked with management about our concerns about staff safety in light of the Coronavirus pandemic. The following information we need to share with you.
(1) If you haven't heard already, all library programs, either staff led or other, are cancelled for the rest of the month. This includes STAR Readers. If some of you have Friends' Bookstores, please talk to your supervisors and Friends' groups about the possibility of cancelling these services, as well.
(2) The Mayor has directed that City buildings have "staggered" attendance of no more than 50 people at once. This is why we were asked today (without any word as to why) for a snapshot of our attendance. The Mayor's mandate of 50 people is the combination of staff and patrons. This directive will go into place Monday. Obviously, Central Library will be closing to the public and much of the staff will be redeployed.
(3) The Guild objected strongly to the newly formed "Coronavirus Task Force" commencing this week without Management including the union at the table. We pointed out that our MOUs mandate a joint labor-management Health, Safety and Welfare Committee and that it was inappropriate to start a new committee without recognizing that the Guild should take part. After much discussion, the City Librarian invited the Guild to the next meeting.
(4) The City Librarian agreed with the union that our janitorial services should begin more intensive cleaning of our branches and departments as soon as possible. Management is in discussion with these agencies about our current needs. More cleaning supplies for staff use are also being ordered (The Mayor also underscored this in the press conference).
(5) Public computer use at all our facilities will be suspended beginning tomorrow (Friday).
I'm typing this very quickly, so please excuse any unpolished parts to this email.
Please share this email with all staff members in order to keep everyone in the loop.
Lastly, this has been an exhausting day for all of us. Hang in there. I hope everyone has a restful evening.